Robert James "Rob" Gronkowski, was born on May 14, 1989. Rob is an American football tight end for the New England Patriots of the National Football League (NFL). He played college football for the University of Arizona, and was selected by the New England Patriots in the second round of the 2010 NFL Draft.
Rob Gronkowski has been one of the most prolific tight ends in NFL history. In 2011 Gronkowski, in just his second season in the NFL, set the single-season record for touchdowns by a tight end, with 17 receiving touchdowns, and 18 overall. In doing so, he became the first tight end in NFL history to lead the league in receiving touchdowns. In his first three seasons, he has 38 receiving touchdowns in 43 games; no other tight end has had more than 25.
In February 2013, Gronkowski was diagnosed with an infection in his forearm. He underwent an open procedure (which was the 3rd forearm surgery) to wash away the fragments in an effort to clear the infection and was subsequently placed on a course of antibiotics. On May 20, 2013, Gronkowski underwent a 4th surgery in his forearm to remove the hardware implanted in the second procedure and replace it with fresh hardware. Tissue biopsies were performed, but it was reported by ESPN's Adam Schefter that doctors were encouraged the infection has finally resolved. On June 18, 2013, Gronkowski underwent back surgery. He was cleared to play for the October 20, 2013 game against the New York Jets.
- Youngest player with 3 touchdown receptions in a game: 21 years, 214 days (2010, vs. Pittsburgh Steelers)
- Youngest player with 3 touchdown receptions in a game, playoffs: 22 years, 275 days (2011 playoffs, vs. Denver Broncos)
- Most touchdown receptions by a tight end, season: 17 (2011)
- Most touchdowns by a tight end, season: 18 (2011)
- First tight end to lead the league in receiving touchdowns (2011)
- Most receiving yards by a tight end, season: 1,327 (2011)
- Most offensive touchdowns in first two seasons: 28 (Tied with Randy Moss)
- Consecutive seasons with 10+ touchdowns by a tight end, 3
Patriots franchise records
- Highest receiving yards per game average for a Tight end (season): 82.9 (2011)
- Youngest Patriot with 3 touchdown receptions in a game: 21 years, 214 days (2010, vs. Pittsburgh Steelers)
- Youngest Patriot with 3 touchdown receptions in a game, playoffs: 22 years, 275 days (2011 playoffs, vs. Denver Broncos)
Rob was nicknamed "Gronk".